Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My life reduced to boxes




My tribute to an old friend; a comfortable place to rest; a safe place; a warm companion - If these walls could speak! Oh, if they could!  What would they say???  Lots of good times - lots of sad times - lots of angry times- lots of exciting times- lots of silly times - lots of lazy times- lots of selfish times - lots of wasted time AND time well spent - lots of time tending to the needs of others- lots of time taking care of sick children- lots of time preparing dinners, lunches, breakfasts- lots of time doing homework- lots of time laughing - lots of time crying- lots of time.

So, now we are just about packed. I must admit, I am happy at the prospect of a larger home, but I do love this house! We spent our very first night as Mr. & Mrs. Colligan here; all my babies came home here; two pets lived here; new windows; new siding; new kitchen; new floors- just the way I like it. I know where everything is. Each little dent and each little mark has a story. Every fingerprint on the front door and smudge on the windows has a story.


Life is funny and each turn brings about a new chapter. Am I ready to turn the page?
I know every street; All the trees are familiar -every leaf, every flower. All the cracks in the sidewalks are reminders of what life has been.

I used to ride my bike on these streets; then I drove my car on these streets; then I walked my babies in strollers on these streets; now my kids ride their bikes on these streets and I drive up and down taking them to each activity and friend's house! Familiar faces; familiar cars; familiar houses. Comfort. Contentment.


In one week, all that will change. Five men will come into my home and carry all these boxes out and put them onto trucks. Each box contains valuable memories, useful household items, practical clothing, dependable shoes - each priceless in its own way. Then, all that will be left will be floors and walls and an echo. Then the men will drive away with all my stuff. At 9:00 AM on Wednesday, November 4, I will sign away my home of 15 years.



I've come to the point now, where I realize that all our memories and happy feelings are in those boxes and in the precious people who live here. At 2:00 PM that same day, we will sign the papers to begin that new chapter. New walls, new floors, new memories! Every single box will then be transported on those big trucks, and the five men will proceed to take each and every precious piece of furniture, and every single precious box and move them into the next chapter of our lives for us. It's scary and new and strange, but change is good sometimes. I will miss this old house and my wonderful friends who I am proud to say are also my neighbors, but I'm ready for the challenge! I am ready to turn the page.


Soon, the boxes will be gone, and we'll be just another family living in just another house that we will call home. No longer will we be reduced to boxes, but a living, breathing, and loving family with some new walls.  We will still have our friends; we will still have our stuff; we will still have each other long after all the boxes are gone.

To Every Thing There is a Season




Ecclesiastes 3



There is a time for everything,

and a season for every activity under heaven:

2 a time to be born and a time to die,

a time to plant and a time to uproot,

3 a time to kill and a time to heal,

a time to tear down and a time to build,

4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,

a time to mourn and a time to dance,

5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,

a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

6 a time to search and a time to give up,

a time to keep and a time to throw away,


7 a time to tear and a time to mend,

a time to be silent and a time to speak,


8 a time to love and a time to hate,

a time for war and a time for peace.


New International Version (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only nice comments... follow your mom's rule... if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all!